playing spent let us know H u m a n i t i e s
Ok, here’s what you gotta do for this discussion:
Watch zoom lecture on childhood poverty.
Make sure you read chapters 7 and 8 first and then:
Read: Does America Have a Caste System? https://theconversation.com/does-america-have-a-caste-system-89118 (Links to an external site.)
Watch: Watch this video with a friend or family member. Before you watch the video, ask yourself and a friend or family member these questions:
- What do you think the wealth distribution is in the US?
- What do you think is the IDEAL distribution?
- Now watch the video together
Discover: What the poverty rate is like in your home city: Poverty by city: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/all?q=poverty%20by%20major%20city&tid=ACSST1Y2018.S1701&t=Poverty (Links to an external site.)
Play: Go to SPENT: http://playspent.org/ (Links to an external site.) and click on “Accept the Challenge”. First, “Find a Job” and then make decisions about how to spend your money. Your balance is at the top left-hand side of the page. How many days did you last? What decisions do you wish you would have done differently? Why?
Write about the following: Separate out your responses to each prompt into a separate paragraphs.
- Your reaction to the article (American Caste…). Think about what you have read in chapters 7 and 8 and reflect sociologically and applied it to this article (BOLD at least 2 terms/concepts/theories to demonstrate your informed perspective). Do you think America has a caste system? (2 points)
- After watching Wealth inequality video write:
- What was your reaction to the video?
- What was your friend/family member’s reaction to the video? Share what you learned (1 point)
- Let us know your city/state and share: The poverty rate AND child poverty rate of your city. What did you learn about your particular city’s poverty? Surprised or Not? Briefly explain. (1 point)
- After playing SPENT let us know: How many days did you last? What decisions do you wish you would have done differently? Why? How might your experience be impacted by age, race, ethnicity, citizenship status, gender, issues of disability…? (1 point)
- What was new information to you regarding child poverty discussed in the zoom lecture? (1 point)
- Pose a question to your classmates regarding any of these topics. (1 point)
- Respond to 3 student questions AND reflect on what they wrote. (3 points)