paralympics sports events reinforce traditional models W r i t i n g
Section I: True/False/Uncertain. Please answer whether five of the following six statements are true, false, or uncertain and explain why that is the case. No credit will be given without an explanation. Please reference the course material where appropriate.
- 1)Universities are required to accommodate students with invisible disabilities.
- 2)Under the ADA, online websites that sell products or services are required to be accessible to people with disabilities.
- 3)Retrofitting historic buildings with ramps and elevators is an example of universal design.
- 4)Paralympics sports events reinforce traditional models of people with disabilities.
- 5)Telethons have been welcomed by the disability community as a way to raise funding and awareness for research to find a cure for multiple sclerosis and other disabilities.
- 6)New computer technologies and online platforms have both created and reduced barriers to full inclusion of people with disabilities.
Section II: Please answer the two of the following essay questions.
Some disability rights advocates say it is important for people with disabilities to be “not just in their communities, but of their communities.”
- a)What is meant by this statement? What does social inclusion mean for people with disabilities?
- b)What are some of the major barriers to social inclusion?
- c)What are some of the best strategies for increasing social inclusion for people with disabilities in the U.S?
The Middlesex County, NJ Department of Transportation (MDOT) has the following information about “Dial-A-Ride” on its website.
Dial-A-Ride is a free curb-to-curb transportation service provided for elderly (60+), disabled and low income residents of the City of New Brunswick. We provide transportation to non-emergency medical, mental health, physical therapy appointments and social service agencies. Anyone interested in using Dial-A-Ride must qualify for our service and call a minimum of 2 business days in advance for transportation. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Please contact our office for more information.
- a)Discuss the transportation issues faced by many people with disabilities, and how these issues impact their economic, social, and psychological well-being. Please connect the issue of transportation to other issues and concepts we have discussed in the course.
b)Discuss how the Dial-A-Ride program seeks to address some of the issues faced by people with disabilities. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the program?