one study different theoretical perspectives B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
1. Identify and describe the four managerial functions. Give a specific example of each.
2. List the three levels of management in the traditional pyramid. Give an example of a task that a manager at each level might perform.
3. Why should one study different theoretical perspectives about management? Give at least three reasons.
4. What is a learning organization? What competitive advantage do learning organizations hold?
5. What is the difference between a stakeholder and a stockholder? What type of stakeholder is a shareholder?
6. Identify and define the approaches to deciding ethical dilemmas.
7. Identify at least three benefits for companies of expanding internationally, and provide an example of each.
8. List the four benefits of planning.
9. Explain the different types of planning for the different levels of management. Include the typical time frame for which each plan is created.
10. Define the components of the acronym SMART in goal setting. Provide an example of a SMART goal and demonstrate that it meets all criteria.
11. Describe the strategic management process.
12. Identify the steps of rational decision making.
13. In making decisions, ethical concerns need to be considered. Identify and explain how a decision tree would assist the manager in making ethical decisions.
14. Why is it important for a manager to understand organizational culture? What functions does organizational culture serve?
15. Give five examples of mechanisms used by organizations to embed its culture.
16. Explain what human resource management is, and explain the steps in the strategic human resource management process.
17. Describe the difference between proactive and reactive change. Contrast how managers act in each type. Which type of change is better?
18. Describe Lewin’s change model.
19. Define cognitive dissonance. Describe the conditions under which people are more likely to try to reduce it, and ways that people do this.
20. What is motivation, and why is it important for managers to understand how motivation works? What do managers need to motivate people to do?
21. Define and explain the four types of reinforcement, including their effect on behavior.
22. Why does teamwork matter? What results can it achieve?
23. What is groupthink? Why does it occur? What should a manager do about it?
24. Identify and define the five sources of power. Provide an example of how each might be used, and by whom.
25. What is a transactional leader? What is a transformational leader? Explain how these terms align with the earlier definitions of manager and leader.
26. Describe the elements of the communication process. Illustrate it with a simple example.
27. What is control, what is its purpose, and why do organizations need it?
28. List the steps in the control process.