I’m trying to study for my Social Science course and I need some help to understand this question.
For this multi part question, the response should be at least 350 words, have two other authoritative sources than the one provided, and must be used in APA format and be cited with a direct link to sources.
Watch Stewart Brand’s TED talk, the dawn of de-extinction, do some research, and respond to these questions: What is the sixth wave of extinction; is it ethical for humans to bring species back from extinction and reintroduce them to the wild?; are there any reservations you have about this?
Using the uploaded reference material sources 1. Powell, R. (2015). In genes we trust: Germline engineering, eugenics, and the future of the human genome. Journal Of Medicine & Philosophy, 40(6), 669-695. doi:10.1093/jmp/jhv025
2. Ummel, D. (2016). Dream or nightmare? The impact of American eugenics, past and present. Cross Currents, 66(3), 389-398., and two other new authoritative sources and must be used in APA format to respond to these next five questions. Make sure to support assertions with evidence and a direct link from your research to the sources. The minimum word count is 350 words per question in this section.
- Describe genetic engineering on a cellular level. In other words, what exactly takes place during genetic engineering that inserts a trait into an organism that did not have that trait before? Give an example.
- According to the provided source materials, what made someone or a group of people considered to be “unfit” members of society? Based on your research, are there any categories or types of people we systematically marginalized today?
- What is Eugenics and what were the goals and policies of the American Eugenics movement?
- Which cells do the authors identify as the ones most likely to hold the key to increased human longevity and vitality and how might this work? Describe one alternative to cloning that the authors mention.
- What are some arguments against extending human life in the way the authors describe? Please describe at least one objection mentioned in the reading and one objection from your research and experience.