central line catheter associated blood stream infection H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Prepare an 8-10 minute audio training tutorial (video is optional) for new nurses on the importance of nursing-sensitive quality indicators.
This assessment requires you to prepare an 8–10 minute audio training tutorial (with optional video) for new nurses on the importance of nursing-sensitive quality indicators. To successfully prepare for your assessment, you will need to complete the following preparatory activities:
- Select a single nursing-sensitive quality indicator that you see as important to a selected type of health care system. Choose from the following list:
- Staffing measures.
- Nursing hours per patient day.
- RN education/certification.
- Skill mix.
- Nurse turnover.
- Nursing care hours in emergency departments, perioperative units, and perinatal units.
- Skill mix in emergency departments, perioperative units, and perinatal units.
- Quality measures.
- Patient falls.
- Patient falls with injury.
- Pressure ulcer prevalence.
- Health care-associated infections.
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection.
- Central line catheter associated blood stream infection.
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia.
- Ventilator- associated events.
- Psychiatric physical/sexual assault rate.
- Restraint prevalence.
- Pediatric peripheral intravenous infiltration rate.
- Pediatric pain assessment, intervention, reassessment (air) cycle.
- Falls in ambulatory settings.
- Pressure ulcer incidence rates from electronic health records.
- Hospital readmission rates.
- RN satisfaction survey options.
- Job satisfaction scales.
- Job satisfaction scales – short form.
- Practice environment scale.
- Staffing measures.
- Conduct independent research on the most current information about the selected nursing-sensitive quality indicator.
- Interview a professional colleague or contact who is familiar with quality monitoring and how technology can help to collect and report quality indicator data. You do not need to submit the transcript of your conversation, but do integrate what you learned from the interview into the audio tutorial. Consider these questions for your interview:
- What is your experience with collecting data and entering it into a database?
- What challenges have you experienced?
- How does your organization share with the nursing staff and other members of the health care system the quality improvement monitoring results?
- What role do bedside nurses and other frontline staff have in entering the data? For example, do staff members enter the information into an electronic medical record for extraction? Or do they enter it into another system? How effective is this process?
- Watch the Informatics and Nursing-Sensitive Quality Indicators Video Exemplar.
For this assessment, imagine you are a member of a Quality Improvement Council at any type of health care system, whether acute, ambulatory, home health, managed care, et cetera. Your Council has identified that newly hired nurses would benefit from comprehensive training on the importance of nursing-sensitive quality indicators. The Council would like the training to address how this information is collected and disseminated across the organization. It would also like the training to describe the role nurses have in accurate reporting and high-quality results.The Council indicates a recording is preferable to a written fact sheet due to the popularity of audio blogs. In this way, new hires can listen to the tutorial on their own time using their phone or other device.As a result of this need, you offer to create an audio tutorial orienting new hires to these topics. You know that you will need a script to guide your audio recording. You also plan to incorporate into your script the insights you learned from conducting an interview with an authority on quality monitoring and the use of technology to collect and report quality indicator data.You determine that you will cover the following topics in your audio tutorial script:
Introduction: Nursing-Sensitive Quality Indicator
- What is the National Database of Nursing-Sensitive Quality Indicators?
- What are nursing-sensitive quality indicators?
- Which particular quality indicator did you select to address in your tutorial?
- Why is this quality indicator important to monitor?
- Be sure to address the impact of this indicator on the quality of care and patient safety.
- Why do new nurses need to be familiar with this particular quality indicator when providing patient care?